Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Editing Feedback and Updates

Since I last said I finished editing, I went back and made some adjustments on my own before actually showing my documentary to anyone. The most relevant change from my first draft to the second draft, and the one I'm most excited about because I think it looks so pretty, is the look of my title! By this point I think you've heard me talk about this title so much you're probably expecting something good, I hope I don't disappoint. It's nothing too fancy and extravagant but I really like how it turned out, and really, it was exactly what I envisioned. Here's the grand reveal.
Here's the original title, which I had displayed in a previous post 
And here's the title now, complete with the marquee light 6510 my brother so kindly created for me
Maybe it's silly to be as excited about an aspect as seemingly small (in comparison) as a title's graphic, but it's just so encompassing of theater and the "big time" dream that I think it embodies a very important aspect of my documentary very nicely. I'm also happy because now this means I get to work with and adapt this title for the other minor components and I know the final results will probably look just as good.

Now into the meat of the update: tonight, after finally being pleased enough with my editing to feel ready to show people for critique, I shared my project with a few peers from my class. Lari, Celeste, and Isa were the one's that mostly gave me feedback and they had a lot of great things to say that going back and fixing will make my piece just that much better. From everything they told me as well as a few things I personally caught when viewing my draft for the millionth time, I complied a list of some general, but also very specific things I have to fix and edit in order for my documentary to be as complete as I want it. Though it wont make sense right now, I'll post my notes here and in time, once I finally share my end product, I'll come back to insert my drafts so my progress and changes can be seen. But for now, here's just this:

Overall, however, my friend's really enjoyed the piece and said that their notes were mostly knit picky which makes me feel really good about my project so far since I worked so hard on editing. With this all finally coming together, although there was never really a doubt in my mind of the subject I wanted to focus on for this, I'm glad I chose what I did. Not only was it perfect timing to be able to film and what not, but it's also a topic so personal and important to me that (it's about to get really cheesy and borderline lame in here) I've enjoyed creating the project and now have a reflection of incredible memories that I know will last me a life time. Now onto the next! I've already started working on the website and this Thursday I will officially be taking the pictures for my poster, so that's what this week is looking like. 

We are LESS THAN 2 WEEKS away from the due date!!! But I'm making great time. I want to have all components finished by Sunday, the end of this week, that way in the final week I can take a few days to do the CCR and still have time to spare to fix any mistakes and then finally, enjoy my spring break and time off. 

1 comment: