Friday, March 31, 2017

Poster Updates

I previously created a post discussing my ideas for the documentary's poster and although I was still unsure of the final image I would be using, this week I met with a few of my class mates to discuss our projects and they gave me some insight on the topic. I explained to them my idea and showed them the images I was using as inspiration; collectively we all decided that, yes, the backstage picture was the best and most capturing of the purpose of my documentary. They suggested, however, that rather than having the image be backstage from off in the wings, it be a shot on stage of the silhouettes of the troupe facing out to the audience during something like a "curtain call." I really liked this idea and in fact, had already thought about it, the reason I never really considered it too heavily though was because something like that is already very similar to another famous production's poster:  A Chorus Line.
Not only a musical theater production created for the stage, but also a movie making grand impacts on screen, A Chorus Line is a well known piece for both younger and older audiences, especially those who are involved and interested in theater... aka MY EXACT TARGET AUDIENCE. Not to mention, it is also very similar to the Thespians documentary poster.  This is mainly the reason why I had some hesitations for choosing this as my cover image. I didn't want it to come off as unoriginal, uninspired, or become easily mistaken for Piece of media other than my own.

On the other hand, this image is PERFECT for my TV documentary and portraying its true underlying themes, and soo... my peers convinced me to go this route. I'm going to be taking the shots next week on my school's stage once I have access to the light booth and am able to properly light the set how I want it. Unlike the image used for A Chorus Line and Thespians which utilizes classic white and yellow lights, I'm planning on orchestrating my lights so that they are comprised of a blue, purple, and white light color scheme, similar to the lighting in my original backstage inspiration picture (and looking back on it, the lights in the heading of the Thespians websites home page).

Something about this just makes it feel more original and distinct from A Chorus Line's poster, as well as part of the modern theater world. I'm including the white light so that there is still something within that color scheme that will match and pair well with my "marquee light" title which will most likely be white/ yellow lights. For this reason, I will also do my best to take the cover shot with white and yellow lights shining on the performers, just in case the blue and purple look too off with the title.

Another distinction that will separate my documentary's poster from others of previous productions is the physicality and body language of the subjects in my shot. A Chorus Line is all about individual performers sharing their personal stories and auditioning to further their own career. It's really about the pressures of the performing industry and the toll it can take emotionally and physically on individuals, and the poster reflects this, with many of the performers in the cover standing in solidarity and off on their own. Since my production is about the polar opposite, relationships and community built on the bond of theater and performing, my subjects will be proudly holding hands, standing together as one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment