Thursday, March 23, 2017

Curse You, Copyrighted Music!!!

Ah yes, I have arrived to arguably one of the most frustrating parts of this project, attempting to get the rights to use big name songs in my production, but more realistically, when that fails, searching for good royalty free music to use. My frustrations in this feat lie in the fact that I have, essentially since the beginning of this project known which songs I've wanted to use. There's three of them, and although I didn't know exactly where they would fit in before, now that I'm editing, I do!!! And they would be so perfect!!! The three songs I'm talking about are: What I Did For Love from the musical A Chorus Line, New York, New York by Frank Sinatra, and finally, On Broadway by George Benson. I have been attempting for a while to get the rights to these songs, but something always goes wrong. Nevertheless, here I am, basically pleading to the companies that own these tracks to let me use them for an innocent school project, either hoping they forgot about my previous attempts or that by some miracle they will find it in their hearts to help out an amateur documentary maker like myself.

Being the pragmatic person I am however, I realize it's time to start looking for other options. I've began searching a plethora of royalty free music archives and honestly, doing this last year really was not as complicated as I'm finding it to be now. The problem this year is that I'm looking for a very specific style and type of music that, as I'm learning, is not greatly abundant in these archives. Unlike last year when I just needed some soft, yet edgy alternative/ folk music, a relatively popular genre already, this year I'm searching for old school Broadway musical theater meets jazz or something in between. I've found a few options I think I could make work, but nothing that screams to me, yes!!! please use me!!! you need me!!! and really, that's the feeling I wanna get when I find this music. I'm obviously going to keep searching until I find something I'm happy with, but until then, please pray to the Music Licensing Gods above.

No comments:

Post a Comment