Thursday, March 17, 2016

Creating the Scrip

Hello!! It's Ale Duque coming to you live from Tampa, Florida at the Florida State Thespians festival. With 8,000 theatre students here, and countless events, workshops, and shows to watch I have been gathering an abundance if inspiration for my film. One of the events students can compete in is play writing, where students submit 30 pages of an original play to judges and they are then critiqued and asked questions about there choices.

 One submitted a play that dealt with the treatment of the homeless and had a very prominent message. A critique he received however was that although his play was wonderful, at times it seemed to be a bit "preachy." The judge told him "remember, stick to the character and not generalities," meaning when giving characters lengthy dialogue, or any dialogue, you must stay true to the personality you have created for them and make sure that it is their voice shining through and not just your own. Since I have a very clear message I want to portray in my film opening I think that telling the story of one main character and their experience would be the best way to go about that, for that reason I want my film opening to be one that introduces the character and essentially tells the beginning of their story. My idea right now is to do so through a voice over narrative from the protagonists point of view, but I really do have to keep in mind what the judge said, because as my chat eyed is speaking about themselves and sharing their perspective it has to be THEIR perspective.

It reminds me of George Orwells 1984, a critically acclaimed classic with a chilling plot and overall message, however there does come a point in "book 2" of the novel where the plot leaves the story and the point Orwell is trying to get across becomes very drawn out, didactic, and in your face. This is something I for sure want to avoid when I begin writing my script.

There is a lot more research I want to do about this to further develop advice and tips for writing this type of script, but seeing as my (very expensive) hotel does not have free wifi As expected, research is proving to be quite tedious and difficult, but I will deco filet follow up and this when I return home as well as actually beginning to embellish my blog and add multi media to my new posts, something that has also been proven difficult in using the mobile version of blogger. Life is a ride.



No comments:

Post a Comment