Monday, March 13, 2017

Question Time!!!

One of the most important parts of a documentary, and a strong driving force of it,  is interviews! The main task when thinking of questions to ask your subjects is to make sure you can establish the foundations of your story: who, what, when, where? After this, you need to make sure you create questions that elicit the type of responses you are looking for. Because you obviously can't control what your subjects say, this means you must cater your questions so that you almost guide your interviewees in a specific direction. This is what I tired to accomplish with my questions. Right now I have 20 of them, I may add more as the come to me or as I see the direction my interviews start taking; as i researched tips for creating interesting questions, spontaneity of the moment was one of the biggest ones, I think this will really help me get natural ad truthful footage of responses. I have a few main subjects I plan to focus my documentary around (two returning States performers and two "newbies") so for them I will ask them the full list of questions; in terms of gathering sound bridges and extra clips, I plan on interviewing other "random" members of my troupe with a watered down set of my interview questions.

Other things to consider for the best possible interviews: even though I may not end up using all of the visual footage, I have to make sure I scout out interesting, appropriate, and diverse interview locations. Another thing to keep in mind, which I learned very well from my first attempt at documentary making earlier this year, is to really figure out the frame of your interview shot. Head room and natural vectors are two VERY IMPORTANT aspects to think about. As far as the actual process of filming the interview, it shouldn't be a problem to have my interviewees feel comfortable  because I have a personal relationship with all of them and they are all performers who are not shy in front of a crowd or camera, but this closeness may make it difficult for both the subject and myself to remember that this is a formal interview and not a casual conversation between us. Me keeping quit during the interview so that anything they say is clear and an option for usage, and having them repeat the question (two very helpful tips I also found) for clarity and continuity reasons will be vital for a successful interview.

Without further ado, here are  the questions!

States questions:

1. Introduce yourself- name, grade, first time at States, how long have you been performing, etc.
2. how big or small of a part would you say theater, the arts, and performance have had in your life?
3. How did you get into theater and become interested in it?
4. Which aspect/aspects of "the arts" do you feel is most personal and important to you?
5. What did you perform/ create at districts that got you a spot on the trip to States?
6. What are you doing at States this year- observing, performing?
7. What are you most excited about for States/ what are you most looking forward to?
8. Why do you think States is important?
9. Why do you think the arts are important?
10. How do you feel trips and events like this impact your life and relationships?
11. Do you feel a sense of community not only among your troupe, but at States?
12. If you've been to States before, what is your favorite States memory?
13. Do you plan to pursue theater, whether it be performance or technical aspects, in the future?
14. If so how do you feel States plays a role in accomplishing those goals?
15. What do you think makes our troupe unique?
16. What reputation, if any, would you say our troupe has among the many that participate in states?
17. What's something you think everyone should know about States?
18. What does a typical day at States look like for you?
19. Do you branch out from your typical social group in the troupe at States?
20. Your overall opinion about the experience?

resources:
http://www.desktop-documentaries.com/interviewing-tips.html
http://www.thewildclassroom.com/wildfilmschool/gettingstarted/interviewquestions.html





No comments:

Post a Comment